Trapping Coyotes

Resident Trapping Program;

A program is being developed for residents interested in having coyotes removed from Collingwood. Unfortunately the OPP and Town of Collingwood will not trap coyotes which leaves residents with the burden and the only choice to remove coyotes in the short term. Trapping is not the ideal choice but the only removal option for residents.

  1. Understand the law. MNRF Guidelines to dealing with wild animals on your private property;
  2. We have obtained a list of “wildlife agents” or licensed trappers from the MNRF offices in Midhurst. Trappers have been contacted and trapping has been discussed in ideal locations.
  3. We are proceeding. Residents are coming forward to help us by making donations and providing approvals to use their properties for trapping.
  4. We are formulating the best trapping program to succeed based on the resources we have with a short term and a long term plan.
  5. Please consider participating by approving your property for trapping and/or helping fund trapping.
  6. email us for additional information and to participate.
  7. The firearms by-law is an alternative approach which has obvious issues. Collingwood Firearms bylaw
  8. Trapping insight video

Questions answered by Ministry of Natural Resources regarding trapping. To ensure you have current information contact your MNRF district office for updated information or a list of trappers.

  1. What specific license do trappers have to have to trap coyotes? (small animal etc)


A Trapping Licence is required in order to trap furbearing mammals. The type of Trapping Licence and requirements to get the licence depend on the type of property the person wants to trap:

  • Landowner:  if you trap only on your own property
  • Resident:  if you trap on private lands with written permission from the landowner or on Crown land identified in the licence that is not part of a Registered Trapline Area
  • Head trapper (Registered Trapline Area): if you trap in the Registered Trapline Area assigned on your licence. You may use licensed helper (also known as a helper trapper)  but you are solely responsible for making sure your helpers follow laws and regulations
  • Helper trapper (Registered Trapline Area): if you trap only within the areas on the head trapper’s licence and for furbearing mammals that count towards the head trapper’s quota
  • Youth (age 12-15): can participate in most aspects of trapping, including setting traps and preparing and selling the pelts of furbearing mammals; but only under direct supervision of a licenced trapper who is at least 18 years old.


Every trapper harvesting fur must have a trapping licence. The licence identifies the area where the trapper can trap and gives harvest quotas for some species. To trap in Ontario, you must have the following:

  • have completed the required course
  • have a trapping licence
  • trap only during open seasons
  • keep to annual harvest quotas
  • trap only on land identified in the licence
  • have written permission from the landowner when trapping on private lands
  • follow other conditions set out in your licence and the regulations (e.g. trap sizes for fox)
  • only use humane, certified traps


Collingwood is in Wildlife Management Unit 81B, and the coyote season is open all year, from January 1 to December 31.


Additional information is found here:


  1. What specific license do hunters have to have hunt coyotes?


All hunters must have the hunting version of the outdoors card and a valid small game licence to hunt coyote in Wildlife Management Unit 81B. Hunters must follow the rules and regulations set out in the Hunting Regulations guide found here: and local municipal bylaws.


  1. As we discussed you were going to clarify what “causing damage to your property” is .Could you please assist in this matter?


The Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act states that: “If a person believes on reasonable grounds that wildlife is damaging or is about to damage the person’s property”.


  1. You were going to confirm if the ice of Georgian Bay is considered Crown property in which the hunting/trapping of coyotes would be permitted. Could you please provide an answer?


The ice of Georgian Bay is considered Crown property. In the location discussed it is within the Town of Collingwood and would be subject to the municipal bylaws governing firearms and trap use.


  1. Could you clarify the statement that; Members of the landowner’s immediate family are classified as “wildlife agents”.


A member of your immediate family can act on your behalf on your property to protect it.


  1. Do humans and dogs qualify as “property” in the legislation protecting wildlife?


As discussed, dogs (and other domestic pets) and livestock are property under the FWCA.


  1. How does a property hunter find a trapper and/or hunter in the Collingwood area?


Provided below is the full list of trappers for your area:


ALAN SAMPSON 705 429-2386
DOUGLAS BRIDLE 705 441-6897
NEIL METHERAL 705 466-5190
KYLE ACSAI 705 888-5948
JASON ABELS 705 424-9414
ERIC BRONEE 705 794-1126
TODD PATTON 705 441-4917
KENNETH FRALICK 807 934-6364
MICHAEL J. EVERS 705 436-4521
MICHAEL G EVERS 705 436-4521
TERRY AGOWISSA 705 424-7743
ROBERT WIGGINS 705 330-5846
ROMAN SVOBODA 705 728-1338
DEREK McLEAN 705 229-4146
MARIO ANTUNES 416 908-7773
NUNO ANTUNES 705 722-9429
ROBERT SMITH 613 929-0235
GERALD SULLIVAN 705 322-1559